15 Standout Achievements by Smarter Health Specialist Doctors
As of 2018, Singapore has an estimated 5,000 specialists, according to the Singapore Medical Council. Out of that pool, Smarter Health only invites highly qualified specialist doctors to join our panel. These specialists are internationally acclaimed, and the leaders in their respective fields.
Here, we take a look at some of the most impressive achievements the Smarter Health specialists have accumulated over the course of their medical careers:
General Surgery – Colorectal
- Pioneered the use of single incision laparoscopic surgery in colorectal surgery, in Singapore. Single incision laparoscopic surgery is a technically more challenging procedure with different underlying principles to that of traditional laparoscopic surgery. The benefits of single incision laparoscopic surgery include:
- The surgery can be scarless if the incision is hidden within the navel.
- The risk of potential complications like port site hernias, haematomas and wound infection is reduced.
General Surgery – Upper Gastrointestinal/Hepatobiliary
- Pioneered the use of minimally invasive techniques – laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (removal of a portion of the stomach) and laparoscopic gastric bypass (creating a pouch in the stomach) – in Singapore General Hospital
- Pioneered multiple techniques in sinus surgery, especially in complex frontal sinus surgery and revision sinus surgery
- Introduced Computer Guided Sinus Surgery using the latest electromagnetic technology in Singapore
- Performed more than 6,000 invasive coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary intervention procedures
- Utilises the latest in stent technology – bioresorbable vascular scaffolds (stents that dissolve) instead of metallic stents in order to avoid potential pitfalls such as vascular inflammation and stent thrombosis
- Introduced the use of high-resolution manometry in Singapore to measure pressures in the gastrointestinal tract
- Introduced fecal microbiota transplantation in Singapore, to treat patients with Clostridium difficile (C. diff) infection
- Introduced Fibroscan to enable more accessible monitoring of liver disease progression at the National University Hospital, Singapore
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Performed the first robotic surgery for gynaecological cancer in the region in National University Hospital, Singapore, in 2008
- Among the first in the region to perform single incision surgery and multidisciplinary single incision surgery, in 2009
- Transplanted an ovarian tissue back into a patient with ovarian failure – resulting in Asia’s first baby conceived naturally from implanted ovarian tissue
- First Asian to be appointed Adult Reconstruction Fellow at the Mayo Clinic, United States of America
- The only orthopaedic surgeon in history to have won both the Singapore Orthopaedic Association Young Investigator Award for research work on mesenchymal stem cells and cartilage repair in the knee and also the N. Balachandran Award in the same year
- Pioneered and popularized the use of intra-medullary devices for the fixation of proximal humeral fractures in Singapore since 2014